The presence of 1,4-Dioxane in water sources has gained the attention of regulating bodies and the media recently. Recent advances in analytical tools have given confirmation of the presence of 1,4-Dioxane in groundwater and drinking water sources, along with common sources or related contaminates. This, along with the better understanding of the potential health effects of 1,4-Dioxane has created additional pressure at the removal of this VOC from drinking water and potentially contaminated groundwater sites.
Ozone may be the answer or a part of the answer to 1,4-Dioxane removal in water. Our recent bench tests found complete elimination of 1,4-Dioxane in water within 10 minutes of treatment time. Adding H2O2 to achieve the Advanced Oxidation Process (AOP) showed no benefit to ozone alone.
|Test #1 used ozone gas at 6% by weight bubbled through a column of water|
|Test #1||Test #1||Test #1|
|VOC||0 min||10 Minutes||20 Minutes||30 Minutes|
|1,1,1-Trichloroethane||66 ppb||4.5 ppb||0.31 ppb||0.28 ppb|
|1,1-Dichloroethane||380 ppb||50 ppb||9.6 ppb||0.93 ppb|
|1,1-Dichloroethene||140 ppb||0.34 ppb||0.34 ppb||0.34 ppb|
|Tetrachloroethene||140 ppb||0.12 ppb||0.12 ppb||0.12 ppb|
|Trichloroethene||410 ppb||0.22 ppb||0.22 ppb||0.22 ppb|
This data showed complete elimination of 1,4-Dioxane with ozone, along with reduction of all other VOC’s present in water at the same time.
We have provided equipment for removal of VOC’s and specifically 1,4-Dioxane from drinking water and contaminated groundwater plumes. Should you require specific equipment recommendations, we would be pleased to discuss this with you.
Links to equipment we offer below:
- Trailer mounted ozone systems
- Modular ozone systems
- Cabinet mounted ozone systems
- All new ozone systems for remediation applications
- Pilot systems currently available
For additional information on the removal of 1,4-Dioxane from water below is a list of technical papers and research we have compiled.
- Oxidation and Biodegradability Enhancement of 1,4-Dioxane Using H2O2 and Ozone
- Combined Ozone and Ultrasound for the Removal of 1,4-Dioxane from Drinking Water
- Evaluation of Ozone and AOP for Degradation of 1,4-Dioxane in water
- Treatment of Groundwater Contaminated with 1,4-Dioxane, Tetrahydrofuran, and Chlorinated Volatile Organic Compounds Using Advanced Oxidation Processes
- EPA Presentation on ozone and AOP for 1,4 Dioxane
- Treatment of 1,4-Dioxane in Groundwater using AOP: UV/Peroxide, Ozone Peroxide